xisto Community
choetry

Why Computinghost So Cheap Q. and A. on why computinghost is cheap

how come cumputinghost.com is so cheap? it is like 1/3 of the price of other paid hosting service out there. if the service is long-lasting, i might consider moving there soon

We do this because we are here for the long run. To explain that a little and not sound like "hogwash". The owner here tried different "free hosting" solutions and ended up feeling cheated after spending numerous hours on a web site and the layout. Then come back after a couple of days and find that the so-called free host had injected a banner ad into the site and messed up the layout. Other times it was with hosting that was great for 5 to 6 months and they either went under or changed to pay service because they had oversold (given out too much free space).

So Xisto started out with server space paid by OpaQue, and Xisto Corporation. Now the servers we use for the forum(s) and the hosting are paid for by the paid hosting and the ads on the forums this subsidizes the free hosting space. The forum servers and the free hosting servers are separate, the paid hosting servers are different from the free servers. Users on the paid servers are more careful with scripts and dont mess around in the cPanel as much as users here on the free space. This results in better uptime and less problems with SQL databases.

This is a write-up that is on Xisto.com (other free web hosting we have) Why be cheated somewhere else when you can be cheated right here (sarcasm) and it explains some of the reasons behind this. Here is a list of the free web hosts that has gone under http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and we are working hard not to end up on that list. We are not overselling, we are strict when it comes to participation on the forums because that is how we can make the money paying for this service (it's still subsidized by the paid hosting at Xisto corporation).

To wrap this up, right now its not a moneymaker, its a hobby. If this grows and we keep new members we may add new forums that will attract other user groups that have different interests and add free servers to those forums. With enough forums and free server space this can turn into a business that will make money. To achieve this we need to keep the member base growing and give out more Free Hosting Space.

OpaQue may have a better explanation but this is my understanding.

Nils

I have been with Xisto for more than a month or so, and I didnt even know that Xisto - Web Hosting is owend by the Xisto (OpaQue, NilsC) I thought that Xisto paid Xisto - Web Hosting to host Xisto :) . I had a hint that OpaQue owns Xisto - Web Hosting when he asked us to make banners for them.

From

.::DAMAN::.

eh since when this becomes a topic by itself? i remember asking this in someone's thread but a mod must have moved it out to become a topic:)

eh since when this becomes a topic by itself? i remember asking this in someone's thread but a mod must have moved it out to become a topic:)

71117[/snapback]

I made it a new topic because you hijacked adriantc's thread here: http://forums.xisto.com/topic/10130-a-small-question-for-the-admin-a-small-question-for-the-admin/. His thread was about bandwidth, and you snuck in and asked this, so I thought it'd be a good idea to separate the two. Also, Nils gave a very thorough reply and mentioned OpaQue. :)

I've a question to ask, it might sound silly but here goes... *deep breath* :) I read the Xisto - Web Hosting price plans thing on the website, and am just wondering why as a paid service the amount of webspace offered is less than the free hosting on Trap 17. Seems odd to me.

I've a question to ask, it might sound silly but here goes... *deep breath*  :)

I read the Xisto - Web Hosting price plans thing on the website, and am just wondering why as a paid service the amount of webspace offered is less than the free hosting on Trap 17. Seems odd to me.

71176[/snapback]

They offer packages with more webspaces too. and they don't require you to post in the forums. Free hosting is paid by the adertisements in this forum. So sometimes i'll click on the advertisements when i have nothing to do :)

how come cumputinghost.com is so cheap? it is like 1/3 of the price of other paid hosting service out there. if the service is long-lasting, i might consider moving there soon

71065[/snapback]

Yes, Xisto - Web Hosting is cheap. We want it to be cheap and affordable. You can see our statement on the site. We don't allow monthly payment terms on some packages because the transaction charges can blow our little profits. We don't have plans to increase the rates but we will increase it after time. However, the existing users will not be affected.

Coming back to Question, If you see, our packages are carefully planned. We have taken care that we can easily make some good profits and also pay the server bills. We have our own policy of business. I belive making $1 buck profit from 100 clients rather than making $100 profit from one. This is to improve customer relation and satisfaction. Low prices does not mean we provide low grade services. Infact, none of our paid clients have reported complaints. Yes, mySQL downtimes are there but those servers are monitered more carefully and the monitering interval is about 5 mins rather than 15 mins ( used for our free hosting). This means, small hookups which are normal on every server are fixed immediately. And most of the times, its avoided before it occurs. The service is guaranteed. Also, Xisto - Web Hosting will soon be making partnerships and tie ups with other major companies. The Good news is, we are getting proposals. And we are also looking forward to partner with another major company. This will allow us to provide dedicated server and VPS facilities. We have major plans for Xisto - Web Hosting.

I've a question to ask, it might sound silly but here goes... *deep breath*  :)

I read the Xisto - Web Hosting price plans thing on the website, and am just wondering why as a paid service the amount of webspace offered is less than the free hosting on Trap 17. Seems odd to me.

71176[/snapback]

You can read the QUOTED text in our banner. We Do not Oversell. We have started a bit of overselling at Xisto and Xisto. That was because, every month, hundreds of GB's of BW was wasted. Also, there is quite a lot of free resources on Trap. So I thought instead of sharing the entire server, I will just start a bit of overselling so the needy members will be happy :-)

On Xisto - Web Hosting, When we take payment from you, its our responsiblity to provide you with the service that you deserve. Hence, We have also put up 30 day unconditional moneyback guarantee. We don't believe in cheating members by overselling. When we give you 100 mb space, You have right to use every bit of it. So even if every member on our server spams the space and BW to the max, No one is affected. You pay it.. you get it!.

I am thinking of switching to the paid host at Xisto - Web Hosting. 365 posts seems like a lot when I can get the same thing for $10. How does the paid host compare to the free host at Xisto. Which one is better?What are the differences?Thanks for your input

The paid hosting are on dedicated servers, nobody runs illegal scripts or messes with "spam" runs because there they lose real money if they lose the hosting.Up time is good here and excellent on the paid servers, I don't think we had to terminate erratic SQL scripts ever on the paid host. :blink:Nils