xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
brandice

New Forum, Topic Starters How do I get people to start talking?

Recently, a forum that I spend a lot of time on went down. There are a lot of rumors about when it will be coming back but nobody knows for sure. So what I did was, I made a new forum, a sort of waiting room, and I invited a few of my friends. They signed up, but they don't have much to say! I know that if there were more interesting conversations going on the word would spread and the place would be a success.What are some good topics to get people to open up and start chatting?

What are some good topics to get people to open up and start chatting?

70655[/snapback]

Controversial topics are good. Take a look at all the "hot topics" (red folders), and you'll see that they're almost all controversial.

music. everyone likes music. ask a music question. say good charlotte is not rock. thats sure to get some gay people talking. (sorry to those of you who are sexually gay, i know comparing gc fans to gay people is very mean, and i apologize to you sexually gay people.)

well,to give some flash game on line is a useful idea to attract people to be your forum and talking by the way.as possible as you can to send some fashion and useful theme too,you can also to call for your friend to your forum to hot the environment.umm,there are about 50 people registed in my forum and given 1700 post already,since the janury 2005.

Well, one good thing is having lots of good content that attracts people to it. I havent seen your website so I don't know how good it is. Then start topics that you think people would be interested in anyting that's popular right now. I think it's best if the topics are realted tot he theme of your site, because that's what people who visit your site would be intersested in.

Thanks everyone. The forum isn't really connected to my site, it's an entirley new place where people from a music forum that shut down can go. Except it's all of the people who never talked about music :o kind of a general or misc. forum.In the last week, things picked up- "Word Association" and "what kind of pirate are you?" type threads seemed to help. Now I have a new question. How do you deal with new people coming in just to complain about the features on the board? "I don't like it here, it's not like that other place" -that kind of thing.

If there were online games and a forum where they chat about what their good at and games people should play then the forum would be a huge success. I used to chat in M4UM but it shut down and losed interest, but they had loads of forums and games where you can bet your credits on to gain more to allow you to become the top gamer.

Recently, a forum that I spend a lot of time on went down. There are a lot of rumors about when it will be coming back but nobody knows for sure.
So what I did was, I made a new forum, a sort of waiting room, and I invited a few of my friends. They signed up, but they don't have much to say! I know that if there were more interesting conversations going on the word would spread and the place would be a success.

Hi Brandice.

I too have a very similar problem ;)

I have added my addy within my signature. I hope this is ok with the members, mods and Admins on here. ;)

Maybe you would like to PM me or visit my site, as we may be of mutual benefit.

very best regards

Ed

Without reading half of the thread, maybe controversial topics that has been in the news of late.. of course within debate and opinion (rather than naming calling, etc). Also, as others said.. maybe a games section, and so forth.. even the threads that encourages answers to question (eg name of band, etc.. or what are you listening to) may bump up the activity a bit.

Well maybe news.Like new hot news that just happened.

Well, it could be anything.
As it was already a music forum, music topics will definitely help. Then games and news can also be there.

Search for some quizes on the net and then create a thrad with the result you've got, then maybe the others will take it as well and discuss heir answers on the forum, like for examlpe a quiz like, "Which Green Day member are you most likely?", many people will get different answers and then they can discuss whether they think the quiz was right or wrong. I got Mike Dirnt and I always liked him and I even play the bass. ;)

The link to that quiz is here: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

You can also go to Blogthings and then there are TONNES of quizzes there to try out.

And also hot topics like the recent hacking of Vista by the Iranian hackers and stuff like that, the nice new robot Japan firms developed aimed at the senior citizens.

But still being a music forum, music topics will be the best as far as I guess.

Andfor dealing with the members, you can say this is just temporarily, if everyone will just sit back and rant, this place won't be like that, encourage them to post some new topics and then they themsleves will start feeling at home. ;)

Hiya! I run my own forum and I shut down the one I ran before that due to it being non active! I have learned loads from starting my new forum and at the moment I have 49 members. Just be yourself, don't lie about your forum, be honest and open about it, affiliating with other forums is always good and ask your members to spread the word!-PinkPrincess

Add some interesting topics with interesting individuals. Or make a dedicated forum for an artist or for a topic.. it would be fun. Have some crazy ideas and encourage your members to participate in the forum.

Recently, a forum that I spend a lot of time on went down. There are a lot of rumors about when it will be coming back but nobody knows for sure.

So what I did was, I made a new forum, a sort of waiting room, and I invited a few of my friends. They signed up, but they don't have much to say! I know that if there were more interesting conversations going on the word would spread and the place would be a success.

I find that on my forum the random contravercial items are the most commented on. On my last post the topic was homosexual marriage and before that was abortion. You should choose a topic that almost everyone has an opinion on. Things like music and movies are good too but they usually end up being short vague conversations. I prefer a long and in depth answer on my posts.

:ph34r: