xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Lurk

Google Bombs

I thought google bombs got patched agessssss ago. Theres still a celebrity glitch if you google images most the time it would bring up a celebrity on the first page atleast. Google "Find chuck norris" and hit I'm feeling lucky, thats quite amusing.

First of all, this thread was brought up from 2004, lol.Second of all, I still don't understand what a Google Bomb is in the first place.They listed various ones but are those meta-tags or something?

So these google bombs are just the means of spamdexing, the method by which you increase the search ranking of your web page with manipulating links, repetitive ranking etc. It was practiced by for altering the search results with some generic terms by associating them with certain websites.

As mbafactory explained Google Bombs are pranks that have worldwide proportions and have only one aim: to be the first result when a user searches on Google (or other search engines ofcourse) to end up with comic results :P

It's also very popular in the media :P

Edited by miladinoski (see edit history)

But how did they work anyways? Just add various meta-tags that had nothing to do with the site?I am very new to SEO in general, and don't really know how to boost my ranking there anyways,lol. So learning older methods would help out a lot.

But how did they work anyways? Just add various meta-tags that had nothing to do with the site?
I am very new to SEO in general, and don't really know how to boost my ranking there anyways,lol. So learning older methods would help out a lot.

To answer your question. If there is a word say "apple" and people specify a certain hyperlink to the word say http://yahoo.com/ . Google considers it as a vote from a website for that term. i.e. apple would show up on the search results. If enough websites do it repeatedly. yahoo may show up on the first page when someone types in apple.
This technique has been used by several bloggers and organized groups of people to link words like "Miserable Failure" to bush etc. Such a thing is called a google bomb.

However google has been actively cracking down on such bombs. Google has since improved its code so that when a person hyper links a certain word to a certain website. Google actually trys to check if the word appears on the site etc.

LOL,should we explain that much times?Read the topic from the start...For example i add the word "akira" on my website.And lets say that word akira is in the list of Google bombs.And,when Google will index my webpage it will see the word akira on my page and it will make the link of my website on Google to be first.So on the simplest way,Google bombs are things that make your website more popular - to be first on Google search results.But i am not sure how much from these are working now.That is not Google's fault,but Google should take care a little to make this bombs not working,because it is not fear somebody to pay to get first on Google,somebody to use Google bomb,and be first on Google results.Yes,you are right this is a little dangerous for Google but it can be fixed.

I think what it basically does is that a group of people who are willing to work really hard somehow manage to change how the google search functions. So I guess someone decided it would be funny if he changed the search results of "failure" to a biography of George Bush. It's actually pretty funny, but people complain about it to Google because they get pretty ticked when someone changes the search engine to purposely embarrass someone. I find it pretty funny. Really, it's quite harmless and gives google a little more Zest. I guess enough people complained, because these days, if you type "failure", it just shows results from the Urban Dictionary and details on the prank. It definitely was fun while it lasted.

so what does these so-called google bombs do? would it generate more hits to a site? would a site get delisted from google search pages when it appears on its pages? What results does it produce --- GOOD or BAD?

Google is an incredibly clever search engine. Its robot is very very clever as well. Google have grown wise to these "google bombs" and if im not mistaken, it will ignore many "bomb" attempts by checking the context of links. links, or course, aren't the only thing that effect a sites ranking. the best way to get ranked, is to just run a good site, and get genuine links from legitimate sites. Google are always going to stay on top of attempts to gain an unfair advantage. They also blacklist sites which use bad methods to gain rankings. Its best just to use legitimate methods and work your way up.